Island of the Giants in Carles, Iloilo - Isla Gigantes

Check out my instagram photos: Xtoffy
When you're in Iloilo, and you're looking for a break from the city life and stress. There's this peaceful destination off the coast of Iloilo in Carles. Its an island chain in the northern most part of the province[...]
I still can't get enough of this experience though I had to really do this trip quick due to time and budget contraints.

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

If you're planning to go there, well, here is a TIP: Expect nothing fancy. It's simple island life at it's finest


The 5 hour bus trip from Iloilo City - Tagbak terminal to Estancia was an adventure with breathtaking landscapes, but the trip out to the islands was a little uncomfortable as the boat was bringing a lot of supplies to Isla Gigantes and there was no sufficient space to sit comfortably. So expect butt numb.

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

Once you reach the terminal, you will have to take a tricycle all lined up to take tourists around Estancia. The tricycle ride is approx. 5-10mins going to the fishing port from there you will hire a boat for your island escapades or you can take a passenger boat cost 80pesos each way that leaves at exactly 2:00pm. If you're late for that trip, you will either stay at Estancia or rent a private boat that cost P4,500 which includes 5-6 island hopping for 2 days & 1 night.

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

The people living in Isla de Gigantes are pleasant to talk to and the children love being photographed. I don't know if i should say this, ANYWAY! I felt like a celebrity when we arrived! There is said it!

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

 As we were being brought to the shore by a makeshift raft, kids came running to welcome guests. I was just a little surprised that they all went straight to me and handed me flowers!!! Then of course I didn't want to miss that opportunity so immediately I got my camera and took some shots of the kids. It was really a very warm welcome but at the same time it felt a little embarassing because some of the guests were like, "What's happening" "Is he a celebrity" "Guess he owns a resort here"

You will want at least one full day to island hop, so that means staying three days/two nights or paying for a private charter from Estancia or Carles. So again, be at the seaport in Estancia before noon to assure seating on the boat that will leave at exactly 2:00 p.m. It is about two hours to arrive at the Isla de Gigantes. The boat going back to the mainland leaves 9:00 in the morning so you will not have time to see sights the day you are leaving.

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

Make sure to contact Joel Decano as he is the tourism officer in Estancia. He will be the one providing you the tour rates based on the number of people staying and days that you'll be spending on the island. Since I was doing it solo, the tour package is expected to be more expensive since you'll be having your own guide, a room at the Gigantes Hideaway Inn (depends on vacancy), set meals and a 1 day tour including a small private tour boat rent. During it's peak, expect that you'll be sharing the room with other travelers. I cant recall exactly how much I paid for the whole tour but I would say more of less 3,000 pesos. FYi: This trip happened January 2015 after the Dinagyang Festival.

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com

Since it was almost sundown, I asked the guide if there is a place a could visit nearby just so I could maximize my time. He suggested to either visit the Light House or the cave. Not wasting my time, I immediately told him "to the caves then"

Isla Gigantes

The location of the cave is 10 minutes away from the inn via a habal-habal (motorbike ride), then prepare at least 10 pesos for your donation or entrance fee to the cave. Expect a mild trek towards the cave, guess add another 10 minutes to get to the cave entrance. The cave gave this chilly feeling when we entered, and it was really dark as the sun was about to set. Your guide will inform you of the cave's history and he will also show you notable formations and some archaic pottery and other artifacts left by their ancestors inside the cave. He will also ask if you'd like to do some spelunking but again since it was really dark, there's not much to see even if we brought flashlights. Another thing, the entrance to the spelunking area was all slippery and muddy and I wasn't prepared for such adventure that moment, I was gear-less. So make sure to wear comfortable and easy to wash clothing and don't bring gadgets (you can now imagine what I wore and brought that day to the caves)

Isla Gigantes

After the cave tour, I still wanted to visit the Parola and the what they call "Sunset Area", but it was really about to get really dark, so doing land tours could be risky. Back to the resort/inn and everyone (I meant the tour guides) were already preparing dinner for their assigned groups/guest. The other guests weren't that friendly maybe because of what happened earlier... well too bad, they wont get to have a photo with the Gigantes celebrity. LOL

Anyway, it was dinner time! The guides didn't serve the same menu to their guests, some had veggies on their table, some with just meat, others have all veggies and seafood. As for me, I was served with sizzling scallops, squid adobo, fried fish and a slice of grilled porkchop. It comes with a big bowl of rice. The meal was part of the package, but if you want refreshments like soda or beer, that's on you. It's not overpriced so don't worry too much about other expenses on the island. There is also a store nearby for some of your basic needs.

The Gigantes Hideaway inn is the only place with electricity that night coz they have their own generator and electricity on the island is only up until 6:00pm. Make sure that you've fully charged gears for the tour the next day.
Since I was only staying overnight, we had to set our tour to start really early in the morning and that's also for me to catch the 9:00am boat leaving for Estancia port. I woke up 5:00am and tour started at exactly 6:00am.

Isla Gigantes




Isla Gigantes

Isla Gigantes

Isla Gigantes. Visit my blog www.kristoffsolescape.blogspot.com


Isla Gigantes Contact Information:

Joel Decano
Proprietor/Tourism Officer
09184685006 / 09155796612
Facebook: Isla Gigantes
Email: isla.gigantes@yahoo.com

Joel Decano is a tourism office who also owns Gigantes Hideaway Tourist Resort. He will arrange everything to make sure you enjoy your stay in Gigantes. If DIY is not your thing, he can also create a package/itinerary for you.

Alternative Contact Information:
If you are not able to reach Joel you may contact the one listed below
Remia Pesta of Arjan Resort at 09199314248 or
Boy PestaƱo at 09999918643

*Arjan Resort is located at Gigantes North and is along the shoreline. They also have boats plying the route of Estancia and Gigantes North. Boat departs between 12 to 1pm. For more information please contact Remia directly.

Travelling on a boat all weekend, eating seafood and having fun with your friends always equates to an amazing time, one I will never forget. Swimming, eating,lying in the sun and taking photos was the sum total of our time and I can't think of anything better

Comments

Popular Posts